Certificate IV in School Based Education Support reflects the role of workers in a range of education settings, including public and independent schools and community education settings, who provide assistance and support to teachers and students under broad-based supervision.
Some job roles may require tasks to be performed with a moderate level of autonomy and/or the provision of supervision/leadership to other staff/volunteers
To achieve Certificate IV in School Based Education Support, the candidate must have completed at least 100 hours of vocational placement as detailed in the training package requirements.
Occupational titles may include:
- Education Support staff
- Education Assistant (additional needs, language/literacy, cultural support)
- Disability support assistant (Schools)
- Teacher Aide in schools, preschools/kindergartens
- School Age Care Assistant Educator (vacation care, OSHC, Kindergarten)
- Teachers Support
- Education Assistant
- Classroom Assistant
- Learning Support Officer or Classroom Assistant
- Inclusion Support Aide
- SSO or School Support Officer
Certificate IV in School-Based Education Support is delivered via a blended model, predominately offered using electronic-based delivery, with Trainers/Assessors being available Monday – Friday between 8:30 am – 4:30pm through email and/or telephone.
- Rolling intake, start anytime!
- Online delivery for 17 units of competency
- Vocational placement of at least 100 hours
- Simulated workshops held at our training locations, if required (as timetabled)
- The opportunity to attend weekly trainer-led study support sessions via Zoom for the duration of your course
- Self-paced (up to 12 months to complete)
All learners will be offered the opportunity for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) assessment, who consider that they have and can successfully demonstrate that they have acquired through formal, non-formal and informal learning the required knowledge and skills specified in the training package. Learners may apply to have their knowledge and skills assessed via the RPL process and will be required to complete an RPL Application and the relevant RPL Assessment Kit.
- If you consider yourself to already have the knowledge and skills for the qualification, any person currently working in the industry has the opportunity to apply for the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) assessment-only pathway.
- You will be required to successfully demonstrate that you have acquired the required knowledge and skills specified in the training package through formal, non-formal and informal learning. To demonstrate your knowledge and skills assessed via the RPL process, please take our skill assessment below and select RPL on your enrolment form.
Take a 60 sec Skill Assessment Check Now to determine your eligibility for RPL.
This course is delivered via our DP Learning@Home Program , offering a mixture
- block or day release for apprentices
- a combination of the above
This course is delivered online Nationally.
Class-based or practical training may be delivered at the locations below.
DP Training Campus
- Brisbane – 162 Abbotsford Road, Bowen Hills QLD 4006
- Gold Coast –Level 3, Unit 7, 52 Davenport Street, Southport QLD 4215
Other training and meeting rooms
- Adelaide – 97 Pirie Street, Adelaide, SA 5000
- Sydney – Level 17, Angel Place, 123 Pitt St, Sydney NSW 2000
- Melbourne – Level 10, 440 Collins Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
The target learner is typically an adult working in an education setting. entry requirements for this course must:
- be over 15 years of age, who have finished or left secondary school
- OBTAIN a security clearance*
- ability to undertake a vocational placement, which includes manual handling tasks
- undertake a Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) Skills Indicator questionnaire
- have technological skills to undertake computer/online work and have access to a computer and software with the following minimum specifications- Microsoft Windows XP, or later, or Mac OS X or above/ Microsoft Office or equivalent/ Adobe Acrobat Reader/Adobe Flash Player/Up-to-date internet browser
Please be advised the following documents will be required to be submitted with your enrolment:
- Proof of ID: Colour copy of Passport or Driver’s Licence.
- Unique Student Identification Number (USI)
- Colour copy of Certificates and Statement Results for any previously attained or partially completed qualifications completed in or recognised in Australia If you do not hold a USI Number or have forgotten your USI Number, please visit the link provided below: https://www.usi.gov.au/students/create-usi
- Course Fee – $2850
- RPL assessment – total assessment fee $1500, then if applicable , $100 per unit of gap training capped at 10 units
A $250 deposit is required prior to commencing training and assessment, with weekly, fortnightly and monthly payment plans to pay the remaining fees.
Certificate IV in School Based Education Support is made up of 17 units of competency (13 core, 4 electives) which reflect the needs of the industry.
|Unit Code||Unit Name|
|CHCDIV001||Work with diverse people|
|CHCECE054||Encourage an understanding of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples’ cultures|
|CHCEDS033||Meet legal and ethical obligations in an education support environment|
|CHCEDS045||Support student mathematics learning|
|CHCEDS046||Support student literacy learning|
|CHCEDS047||Assist in the facilitation of student learning|
|CHCEDS048||Work with students in need of additional learning support|
|CHCEDS051||Facilitate learning for students with disabilities|
|CHCEDS056||Provide support to students with autism spectrum disorder|
|CHCEDS058||Support the implementation of behaviour plans|
|CHCEDS059||Contribute to the health, safety and wellbeing of students|
|CHCPRP003||Reflect on and improve your own professional practice|
|CHCPRT001||Identify and respond to children and young people at risk|
|UoC Code||Elective -UoC Name|
|CHCEDS049||Supervise students outside the classroom|
|CHCPRP001||Develop and maintain networks and collaborative partnerships|
|HLTWHS001||Participate in workplace health and safety|
|CHCCDE004||Implement participation and engagement strategies|
All students will be required to complete either a Vocational placement Log Book or if an Existing worker, a Workplace log book of at least 100 hours within an approved education and care setting. DP Training has a partnership with industry providers and we will coordinate your placement. For those who do not wish to attend DP Training’s selected placement, you will have the opportunity, in coordination with DP Training to source your own alternative vocational work placement location.
It is a requirement to have a security clearance* before you can commence your placement.
Vocational placement is structured workplace learning; a vocational placement student log book is developed to support you to meet the requirements of all tasks to be completed during your placement. Vocational Placement is an important part of the program that has been designed for students to apply the theoretical knowledge gained to a practical level in a workplace environment. This practical approach to learning will prepare students to ease into 100 hours of on the job training required to gain the qualification. All students undertaking vocational placement will be required to organise their own transportation to and from the vocational placement host organisation’s facility.
*Security Clearances: Some qualifications require a security clearance (e.g., police check, valid blue card and/or yellow card) in order for the student to be eligible to undertake practical and/or vocational placement. Additionally, individual host organisations may have different requirements regarding vaccinations. Please discuss these with our Administration Team during the enrolment process and/or refer to the DP Training website for more information. Please note there are mandatory vaccination requirements within each state and it is up to the student to ensure they are complying with their own state, territory legislation and workplace organisation policies and procedures.