This qualification reflects the role of a variety of workers who use a range of factual, technical and procedural knowledge to provide assistance to health professional staff for the care of clients. Health services assistance involves the worker in direct client contact under supervision.
Occupational titles may include:
- Ward Assistant
- Patient support assistant
- Nursing assistant
This course is delivered via blended model, predominately offered using electronic based delivery, with Trainers/Assessors being available Monday – Friday between 8:30am – 4:30pm through email and/or telephone.
- Online delivery for 15 units of competency
- Vocational placement of at least 40 hours
- Simulated workshops held at our training locations (as timetabled)
- The opportunity to attend trainer-led study support sessions every Wednesday (9:00am – 12:00pm) for the duration of your course
- Self-paced (up to 12 months to complete)
- Rolling intake, start anytime!
- Cairns – Nintiringanyi Conference Centre, 16-18 McCormack Street, Cairns QLD 4870
- Sunshine Coast – Unit 5/18-22 First Avenue, Maroochydore QLD 4558
- Brisbane – 162 Abbotsford Road, Bowen Hills QLD 4006
- Gold Coast – Unit 7, 52 Davenport Street, Southport QLD 4215
Course Entry Requirements
The target learner is typically an adult wanting to provide services and support to people in the health and client care industries.
The target learners and entry requirements for this course must:
- be over 15 years of age, whom have finished or left secondary school
- undertake a National Police Check without a notable offence being listed
- ability to undertake vocational placement, which includes manual handling tasks
- undertake a Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) Skills Indicator
- be able to undertake 40 hours of vocational placement
- have technological skills to undertake computer/online work and have access to a computer and software with the following minimum specifications
- Microsoft Windows XP, or later, or Mac OS X or above/Microsoft Office or equivalent/Adobe Acrobat Reader/Adobe Flash Player/Up to date internet browser
Course Structure – HLT33115 Certificate III in Health Services Assistance
This qualification is made up of 15 units of competency (7 core, 8 elective) which reflect the needs of industry.
|Unit Code||Unit Name|
|CHCCOM005||Communicate and work in health or community services|
|CHCDIV001||Work with diverse people|
|HLTAAP001||Recognise healthy body systems|
|HLTINF001||Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures|
|HLTWHS001||Participate in workplace health and safety|
|BSBMED301||Interpret and apply medical terminology appropriately|
|BSBWOR301||Organize personal work priorities and development|
|CHCCCS002||Assist with movement|
|CHCCCS020||Respond effectively to behaviours of concern|
|CHCMHS001||Work with people with mental health issues|
|CHCAGE005||Provide support to people living with dementia|
|CHCCCS010||Maintain a high standard of service|
|CHCCCS015||Provide individualised support|
|BSBTWK201||Work effectively with others|
# To receive an award for this qualification Students are required to complete all units listed above as competent and meet the requirements of the 40 hours of vocational placement within a period of 12 months.
Students will be provided with all the Student training and assessment materials for each unit of competency required to complete the course.
Vocational Placement/ Workplace Log
All students will be required to complete either a Vocational placement Log Book or if an Existing worker, a Workplace log book of at least 40 hours of direct care within an approved aged care facility or community services organisation. DP Training has a partnership with Leading Aged Care Providers which we will coordinate your placement. For those who do not wish to attend DP Training’s selected placement, you will have the opportunity, in coordination with DP Training to source your own alternative vocational work placement location.
It is a requirement to have a current National Police Check before you can commence your placement. DP Training can arrange a National Police check application for you upon enrolment, at a fee of $49.90. If you already hold a Police Clearance, please provide a copy with your enrolment.
Please note: Some workplaces may require you to obtain a Blue Card and current flu vaccine as part of your placement requirements.
Vocational placement is structured workplace learning; a vocational placement student log book is developed to support you to meet the requirements of all tasks to be completed during your placement. Vocational Placement is an important part of the program that has been designed for students to apply the theoretical knowledge gained to a practical level in a workplace environment. This practical approach to learning will prepare students to ease into 40 hours of on the job training required to gain the qualification. All students undertaking vocational placement will be required to organise their own transportation to and from the vocational placement host organisation’s facility.
Please be advised the following documents will be required to be submitted with your enrolment:
- Proof of ID+ residency: Colour copy of Passport or Driver’s Licence. (If passport provided please provide a copy of bank statement or utility bill issued within the last 6 months showing your current residential address)
- Proof of citizenship: Colour copy of either: current green Medicare card; Birth Certificate; current Australian passport; current New Zealand passport; or Australian citizenship certificate
- Unique Student Identification Number (USI)
- A colour copy of your Centrelink health care card or pension card if applicable
- Colour copy of Certificates and Statement Results for any previously attained or partially completed qualifications completed in or recognised in Australia
- National Police Check Certificate (Required before Vocational Placement can commence). (DP Training can process an application on your behalf – additional fee charged for the police check $49.90) (Class based delivery)
- Completed Language, Literacy and Numeracy Skills Indicator
If you do not hold a USI Number or have forgotten your USI Number, please visit the link provided below: https://www.usi.gov.au/students/create-usi
Fee For Service (not eligible for government funding)
- A Full Fee paying student – total course fee $2450
To commence a $250 deposit is required prior to commencing training and assessment, with weekly, fortnightly and monthly payment plans to pay the remaining fees.
Queensland Government Funding
Certificate 3 Guarantee Funding, a Queensland Government Initiative
The Certificate 3 Guarantee supports eligible individuals to complete their first post-school certificate III qualification and increase your skills to move into employment, re-enter the workforce or advance your career. It also supports school students to access training and Queensland’s Year 12 graduates to transition to employment by providing free training in high priority qualifications.
DP Training is able to offer Queensland Government funding to eligible students, under the Certificate 3 Guarantee subsidy. If a person is eligible for funding under Certificate 3 Guarantee, the Queensland Government will subsidise the costs of their accredited training, although a student contribution fee will be required.
Call DP Training to check if you meet the eligibility criteria or answer the questions below. The student contribution fee can be as little as $65 for a concession card holder or $95 for non-concession enrolment.